Monday, June 11, 2012

Living in the neighborhood

I used to be of the opinion that living in the same neighborhood as my students was a dangerous and overwhelmingly negative thing. Talking to people at my old school who lived in the neighborhood of the school, they would tell me it causes some lifestyle changes, and threats. For example, my current principal lives in the neighborhood, and some students have vandalized their home.

In my mind I was never too concerned about students vandalizing my home. The students have never actively disliked me. Students either greatly enjoyed me as a teacher, or were indifferent. The role of a teacher does not lend itself to creating enemies. Annoying a kid sometimes, sure, but never hostility.

For my first few years of teaching I was also enjoying living downtown. Being able to walk down the street to any store of my choosing, sit on the patio of a bar and enjoy a pint or three, or revel with friends late into the evening on the front porch. Privacy was important in those moments, and living in the neighborhood of my school would not project the same image to students that I worked hard to create in the classroom. 

Get off my lawn you damn rapscallions!

This was heavy on my mind when I purchased a dwelling, within the boundaries of the school. Ever since, I have been seeing my students all over the place. And, them seeing me. Every one of those encounters has been positive, or humorous. Whether it be at the grocery, the big-box store, the park, or on the street, the students are really happy to see one of their role models living in their community. A common question is "Mister, you live around here?" "Yes, over there on the other side of_______" (vague pointing).

An added bonus is that it allows me to harass them to finish their homework, ask them a question, follow up on a concern, crack a joke or bond with them, or talk to mom/dad/grandma. In their mind, it also legitimizes my place at their school as a member of their community, and for some, almost a neighbor. It was great to use this with students when they start to misbehave.

"Deon, do I have to pick you up in the morning to make sure you get here on time?"
"No, Mister..."

The classic "I know where you live," but used appropriately and humorously is enjoyed by my students, and their peers. There are two boys in my first period that used to give each other the look of terror, of "Oh no, Mister is going to come to our house, we better get to work" while other students would laugh at them.

Now, I've realized living in the boundaries of my school isn't bad at all. In fact, I greatly enjoy seeing my students, and being seen outside of the school environment. It helps me be a more effective teacher because students want to see you as part of their neighborhood, not as someone coming from outside their world. It really only causes one change in lifestyle.

Keep the beers down low, gentlemen

2 comments:

  1. glad you do not mind living in the same neighborhood where you work.
    I am the complete opposite as you. I prefer to live in another neighborhood away from my work, just for privacy and anonymity issues. I do not want to be bombarded and hounded every time I leave my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Let's hope it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete