Saturday, June 9, 2012

Test Scores: Beating Expectations

Standardized tests, and all-district exams usually struggle in two important ways, validity and reliability. Meaning, is the test a valid way to assess and measure our students, compared to what they have been (or need to have) been learning. And, Is the test a reliable measure of what the students did learn. For example, if we taught the students how to take multiple choice tests, deduct unlikely answers from probable, and teach exactly the content covered on the exam, yes they would be valid and reliable. However, when the students need intensive shock therapy on writing and reading, no the exams are not valid, nor reliable.

The district exams seem to be unable to make up their minds. Those exams contain a mixture of both multiple choice (memorizing), and short essay. The lines given for the short essays are spaced for a third grader, and are only 5-6 lines long. Not what I would call a short essay. The problem arises when you intently teach students how to write a short essay (10-12 lines) using and citing evidence, and working them away from a culture of lowered expectations and trivial skill usage, to an exam on which they will be judged that expects little of them. The students try to revert back to old and comfortable habits. Students who could write you a proficient short essay in class are suddenly writing 4th grade sentences again.

At my prior district, they at least formatted their district interim assessments in a way that was somewhat challenging. Those focused on skills of interpreting documents, and using them in a short-lengthy essay in addition to your background knowledge. Much like a DBQ. I was in the habit of crushing those with 100% of my students, or near to it, proficient and advanced. At the new district, the results I achieved are below.



My goal for this year was to beat expectations. Those expectations were to be slightly worse than the district average. That was our tradition as a school, and our students are more often unsat or exams. For example, my students started the year on their pre test (BOY) at 57% unsat (fail), and only 4% proficient. District was at 50% unsat, and 7% proficient.

Although I have great disdain for the test, I do take great pride in knowing my students crushed the district on the final exam. Most importantly, my students' growth was far beyond expectations. District average had a 56% growth in terms of moving students out of the unsat category. I had an 82.5% growth rate, in terms of moving students out of the unsat category. I started with more unsatisfactory students, and had drastically higher growth, and ended the year with more proficient students as a percentage of the student body. On top of that, I was the top scoring teacher, beating out my co-worker.

What can we take away form these results, in terms of how we can positively influence our students? I have always focused on skills: reading, writing, analysis, synthesis, interpretation, graphing, and academic language. Using those skills to teach the content gives the students what they need, the ability to be critical thinkers, and read/write proficiently in social studies content. When you get bogged down in teaching content removed from skill, in order to teach to the test, you put on blinders and forget importance. If skills are taught, the test tends to take care of itself. Knowing that it is these results that drive the judgement of my admin, I will continue to teach those skills, and continue to crush the district. We are a turnaround school, and hopefully continued growth from my coworkers and I will help our school survive the many threats now coming at us. More details on that in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment